The National Weather Service is forecasting near- or below freezing temperatures overnight in the Hilton Head Public Service District (PSD) service area through Sunday.
Customers are encouraged to do the following:
• Locate the main water shut-off valve for your home so that it can be shut off quickly in the event of a water pipe leak.
• Disconnect garden hoses from the spigot. Turn off irrigation systems.
• Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets. This will help prevent the water in pipes from freezing.
• Keep kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
If pipes do freeze:
• Shut off the water immediately. Do not attempt to thaw pipes without first turning off the main shut-off valve.
• Thaw pipes with warm air – not direct heat. Never use any type of open flame to attempt to thaw pipes.
• Be careful turning water back on. Once pipes are thawed, slowly turn the water back on and check pipes and joints for cracks or leaks.