Drop-off boxes in Beaufort County allow safe place to properly dispose of medications
There are drop-off boxes in Beaufort County that are safe places to properly dispose of extra or unused prescription medications instead of flushing them into the PSD’s sanitary sewer system.
There is a new initiative at the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office, in conjunction with Beaufort Memorial Hospital, to properly dispose of drugs — keeping them off the streets and out of the drains. There are three drug drop-off boxes in Beaufort County:
- The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office on Hilton Head, located at 58 Shelter Cove Lane.
- Beaufort County Government Building, 4819 Bluffton Parkway in Bluffton.
- The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office, located at 2001 Duke Street in Beaufort.
Here’s how it works:
When you drop-off your medications (also accepting hypodermic needles), a Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office deputy will meet you in the lobby and place all of the medications in a sealed bag. Individuals are not allowed to use the box without a deputy present. The bag is then deposited into the secured box, which is bolted to the floor, and the drugs are burned. There is no ID or paperwork required. It’s a quick and free process.
The drop-off boxes on Hilton Head and in Beaufort are open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Bluffton location is open 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.You can also call to arrange a time after hours or on weekends .
More open drop-off:
- Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office – 70 Shelter Cove Ln., Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
- Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office – 2001 Duke St., Beaufort, SC 29902
- Bluffton Police Department – 101 Progressive Street, Bluffton, SC 29910**
- Chelsea Medical Center -719 Okatie Highway, Okatie, SC 29909
- CVS, Bluffton – 1006 Fording Island Road, Bluffton, SC 29910
- CVS Hilton Head Island – 10 Pope Avenue, Hilton Head Island, SC, 29928
- Ulmer Family Pharmacy – 68 Bluffton Rd. #6, Bluffton, SC 29910
- Walgreens, Okatie – 138 Okatie Center Blvd, Okatie, SC 29909
** In partnership with Bluffton Police Department and Lowcountry Alliance for Healthy Youth
- Burke’s Pharmacy – 1101 Main St., Hilton Head Island, SC 29926
- Bluffton Pharmacy – 167 Bluffton Rd B, Bluffton, SC 29910
Free DisposeRx Packets:
- Walmart Pharmacies
- Sams Club Pharmacies