Freezing temperatures are expected overnight Friday and Saturday on Hilton Head Island.
Hilton Head PSD customers are encouraged to do the following:
- Locate the main water shut-off valve for your home so that it can be shut off quickly in the event of a water pipe leak.
- Disconnect garden hoses from the spigot. Turn off irrigation systems.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets. This will help prevent the water in pipes from freezing.
- Keep kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
If pipes do freeze:
- Shut off the water immediately. Do not attempt to thaw pipes without first turning off the main shut-off valve.
- Thaw pipes with warm air – not direct heat. Never use any type of open flame to attempt to thaw pipes.
- Be careful turning water back on. Once pipes are thawed, slowly turn the water back on and check pipes and joints for cracks or leaks.